Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Man O War - Project 52C - Chisel

Man 'O' War - Project 52C - Chisel
Tale of the Tape:
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Ligero
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Vitola: Chisel
Size 5" x 52 ring
This is Mr. Cigar here and this is the first side by side review done with Miss Cigar.  We both sit down, burn the same cigar and leave our thoughts for you to read.  Hope you enjoy!

The Cigar - Man 'O' War Project 52C
The Man 'O' War series has been around for a good while and is known as a good cigar for the money.  Associated with online deals, you don't often see this smoke in your local shops.  We got these cigars from www.cigarsinternational.com.  It seems that the Man O War series is extending with a few new mini-series, which include the Phalanx (PA Broadleaf wrapper), the Little Devil (Nicaraguan Habano Sun Grown), and the Project 52C.  We haven't had a chance to smoke the first two, but the chisel vitola of the Project 52C has our interest.


Mr. Cigar
The cigar is well-made.  I know chisels aren't easy to roll and they always have a great draw, so I'm looking forward to sparking this.  I've smoked a handful of Man O Wars over the years.  But I'm interested to see what this Project 52C is all about.  The wrapper leaf is smooth and has almost no visible veins.  The cigar is packed and heavy.  A slight clip from the chiseled end and I'm on my way.

The cigar is good.  Almost great.  The burn is flawless and effortless draws produce plumes of thick smoke.  The body is full and tasty; there is a lot going on with this filler.  The blend is complex and the profile evolves as the cigar burns.  I couldn't find many details on the filler, but I'm not sweating it.  I'm just kicking back and enjoying this cigar.  As I mentioned, you don't see these in a lot of B&Ms so I don't get to smoke many of these.

As I mentioned, the body is full, but not overpowering.  The flavor profile is rich, creamy with a lot of toasty, peppery flavor.  The 2nd third of the cigar is the best and I taste a lot of dark roast coffee with some fermented fruit and sweet tobacco on the tail end.

I recommend trying this out.  They price out at about $8 a stick, but you can find deals on cigars.com where they are are like $4.  If you see one of those combos, pick it up.  I'd compare this cigar to the Liga Privada UnderCrowns, only a little smoother.  These are not on the level of the normal Liga Privadas, but they have a rich profile without the harshness I find the UnderCrowns to have.

Grade: B+

Miss Cigar
Hey there Guys!
Thank you for welcoming me into the community.  I've been smoking for about two years and while I still have a lot to learn, I'm actually a hot cigar chick, unlike some that claim to be such.  So I hope you enjoy my reviews.
Since I'm a novice in the way of cigar brands and things like that, I think it gives me an unbiased approach when reviewing smokes.  I don't look at the maker or series, I just call em like I smoke em.

The Cigar
I like the way the cigar is made.  The chisel is a cool vitola.  I've smoked La Flor Dominicana's Air Bender Chisel and enjoy the shape.  As Mr. Cigar mentioned, the cigar produces tons of effortless smoke.  The cigar burns very well, and it is obvious that its a well made stogie.
The cigar starts out with some peppery flavor and mellows out a bit into a creamy, nutty flavor.  Don't let that fool you though.  This cigar is full in every aspect; flavor, body, you name it.

I've been told I may get in trouble for saying this, but I liked the Project 52C Chisel better then the Air Bender.  Hands down, it was just a better flavor through out.  The last bit of the cigar was a little harsh for me; but I was hitting it like someone would smoke a weed roach, so you got to expect some of that.

Overall - Grade B
The cigar smoked well and tasted good.  I liked it.  It wasn't an 'A' smoke because it didn't blow me away.  It was just a good smoke and well constructed.  I'd be interested to try the Phalanx Project to see how that Pennsylvania Broadleaf plays with the blend.  The Ecuadorian Ligero was evident in the strength of the cigar; and since I like the sweetness of Broadleaves I'd like to smoke these two side by side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Am I on to something? Am I wrong? Or am I full of shit?